Friday, June 20, 2014

Are You a Tax Evader?

Unless you have a written lease for longer than six months, when you rent your Florida property you are required to collect 6% tax for the State of Florida and the appropriate tax for the county, 5% here in Brevard County. That tax must be remitted with the tax returns by the 20th of every month to both the State and the County. The State has employees who regularly cruise the vacation rental websites like VRBO and Homeaway looking for owners whose properties are being offered for periods of less than six months. If you'd like to come into compliance before you get the nasty letter or phone call, visit for state license application and sales tax number. You'll also need to check with your county (Brevard County info here) and city to make sure you're in compliance with everyone. Here is the form for Cocoa Beach. It's a pain in the butt but it's the law.

Locals with kayaks and the knowledge have been catching giant tarpon and monster jacks off the beach in the calm conditions of the last few weeks. A hundred pound plus silver king out of a kayak is an experience not soon forgotten.


  1. Is there a registry anywhere that shows what the minimum rental lengths are for the various condos in Cape Canaveral? I know a few are "grandfathered" but short of looking at condo docs for each property, is there a source for that info?

  2. There is not a single source for that info. I assume you mean "grandfathered" with the City of Cape Canaveral. The condo docs are the first determinant to how short a period you can rent your unit. There are only three oceanfront complexes in Cape Canaveral whose docs allow weekly rentals and that are recognized by the City as being able to do weekly rentals. You may remember the fiasco a few years ago when the City unsuccessfully tried to shut down short term condo rentals.

  3. A requirement for obtaining your Cocoa Beach & Brevard County license is to have a fire protection inspection from the local fire marshall. The local fire protection requirements includes proper smoke detectors with strobes, exit signs GFCI outlets in kitchen & bathes, fire exit map, etc. Most local property management companies fly under the radar of this requirement because when they begin renting your property for you they usually just lump it under their state license and don't have to show proof that your property is in compliance with the fire laws. Fortunately they do collect and pay the required taxes for you, but they should all be complying with the fire protection laws too, as is required for owners who get their own licenses and rent out their own properties.